Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

An electrician has a certificate which allows him to get paid

An electrician has a certificate which allows him to get paid GROSS under the CIS scheme .He is now to work as a limited Company for which he will be a director and shareholder.The question is can he use his personal GROSS certificate on behalf of the Company until the Company applies and gets it`s own certificate to be paid GROSS?
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question

It probably will not surprise you to hear that the answer is no, the gross certificate is allocated to the work you undertake under a specific status, so current CIS certificate is for work as a sole trader only, ands you must wait for the outcome of the limited company application to see if gross status can be awarded there too. In the meantime you will have to suffer 20% tax deductions.

However, as a limited company you can offset the tax suffered against tax you have deducted and would usually pay over to HMRC (known as a set off)

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you ,is there any requirements that the Company will have to fullfill in order for the gross status to be awarded.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

HI

Yes there are three tests

Business Test

Compliance Test

Turnover test

These require the following

Business test

You'll need to show HMRC that your business:

• carries out construction work - or provides labour for construction work -
    in the UK
  • is run largely through a bank account

Turnover test

HMRC will look at your business turnover from construction work for the 12
months before you apply for gross payment status. Ignoring VAT and the cost of
materials, your construction turnover must be at least:

• £30,000 if you're a sole-trader
  • £30,000 for each partner in a partnership, or at least £200,000 for the
    whole partnership
  • £30,000 for each director of a company, or at least £200,000 for the whole
    company

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will he be able to deduct any tax deducted at source from any Corporation Tax liability?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

No - I am afraid only offsets from CIS tax suffered. (Not corporation tax or own self assessment tax)

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How will he then re-claim any excess CIS deducted at source?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Yes that is included in his CT return - but this is detailed with the calculation due for the period.

I thought you were asking whether it could be used against outstanding CT due. (so an immediate set off)

I do apologise

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry ,there appears to be some confusion about my question.Assume that the Company has excess tax deducted at source than that deducted from it`s subcontractors!If he can`t offset this against the Companies CT liability ,how then will the Company physically receive these excess tax deducted at source?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi

As a limited company you would show the income earned through your CT return and then for the CIS suffered on that income either

1) can be set off against CIS collected and PAYE deductions made (so this reduces the payment paid over to HMRC each 19th of the month (and you would file a CIS return and a FPS under real time information AND show the CIS suffered so that HMRC knew what to expect from you as payment ) OR

2) Reclaim all or any excess at the year end

See link here and see under heading Reclaim CIS deductions taken from payments

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/sub/p35return.htm#5

Thanks

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax