TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA

My new wife inherited a villa in turkey, we have lived in this

My new wife inherited a villa in turkey, we have lived in this villa for 5+ years for an average 11 months each year. on her divorce 9 years ago she bought a flat which is in negitave equity and is let on a short hold tenancy agreement for the last 4-5 years. On selling her Villa for aprox 400K do we have to pay capital gains tax in the uk when the money on the sale of the villa is used to buy a uk home? we do have to pay aprox 6K to the Turkish tax man non selling her villa. Thank you.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  TaxVince replied 6 months ago.

MamaTax :

Hi Thanks for posting the question. Should you find the answer below incomplete or you are not fully answered, please drop a reply before rating.

MamaTax :

Could you clarify the following points:

1. Was the Villa your main home then when you lived there 11 months each year.

2. Where you tax resident in Turkey during those 5 years?

3. When did you move to UK?

4. Where you in Turkey for work reasons?

5. Do you have any other property as main residence?

Customer:

1. Yes

Customer:

2. Yes, we both had tax nos. Both of us are retired. I, the husband, do not have any other house or flat, or villa, in either Turkey or the uk.. 3. We are still in Turkey awaiting the final sale of my wifes villa. 4. no both retired just living on my and my wifes pension. 5, no . .

MamaTax :

Thanks for your reply. When did you live UK?

Expert:  TaxVince replied 6 months ago.

I see you are now offline. Anyway there is NO capital gains tax IF you’ve been abroad for at least five tax years, and YOU sell it before you return to the UK. If you come back within five tax years from the date of leaving UK, you may be end up paying capital gains tax in UK as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards

TaxVince, Accountant
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi, January 2008.

Expert:  TaxVince replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. Since you have now exceeded the 5 year tax limit. You can sell the Villa and then come back to UK and you dont have to pay any UK tax AT ALL. Note this only applies if you SELL the Villa before coming back to UK.