Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My mother has lived in a large valuable house for 35 years.

My mother has lived in a large valuable house for 35 years. She now suffers from Alzheimers disease. I would like to purchase the house and ideally build a garage block/granny annexe in the garden. Restrictive covenants means this cannot be on a separate title. If my mother was to pay full market rent for the annexe would I be caught by POAT?

I will fund this myself so as to ensure that there is no tainting of funds.
Hi.

Will you be paying your mother the full market price for the house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have valuation for house and there are recent sales near by

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assume house is worth 1.5 million. Cost to build annexe say 100k. Monthly rental 1.25k

Thanks.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do

Thank you

Hi again.

Given that you will be paying the full market value for the property which means that your mother's estate will not be diminished in any way, there can be no possibility of a charge under the pre-owned asset tax rules. There will also be no gift for Inheritance Tax purposes as there will be no element of gift. Assuming the monthly rental of £1,250 is the market rate, that effectively acts as a safety net in case of a dispute with HMRC over the price paid for the property.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify the rental value is for the annexe rather than the house which would be say 6,250.

I am therefore assuming that capital gains would be payable on the annexe based on 1250/(6250+1250) adjusted for time annexe is used

Previously Owned Asset Tax and the Gifts With Reservation Rules exist to counter "artificial" gifts made in an attempt to avoid Inheritance Tax. There will be no avoidance of IHT in your mother's case as you are paying the open market value for your mother's home so there is no element of gift which is crucial for either the POAT or GWR rules to apply. Since your mother's estate will not be reduced in value for IHT purposes, the POAT and GWR rules do not apply. There is probably no need to charge a rent for the annexe.