Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

if you win cash in a casino on slots on a ship no receipt is

Customer Question

if you win cash in a casino on slots on a ship no receipt is given when you collect your money
how do I explain the money if I pay into my bank account?
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.
Hi.

It's difficult. If it were me, I'd ask an official on the ship to confirm the win in writing. If I was with friends, I'd use them as witnesses if the need arose. I don't know the mechanics of it but surely you aren't expected to store a load of coins for the duration of your holiday so I guess the winnings must be paid to you in notes. A cheque from the cruise liner company would be preferable as you could keep a copy and use it as proof of the provenance of the bank deposit if necessary.

Unless you are professionally involved in a cash business or have had tax problems in the past, the tax office would find it hard to make a case against you if the deposit was a one off and you told them it was a slots win you had whilst on a cruise. They would either give you the benefit of the doubt of if they didn't they would lose in front of an independent tax tribunal if it got that far.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.