Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Just an enquiry regarding business expenses related to travel

Just an enquiry regarding business expenses related to travel for employee on business.

We have a few employees travelling on business this year. I understand that subsistence costs can be paid as per benchmark rates here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/wwsr-bench-2012.pdf without having receipts?
EG: Say a 10 day trip to Boston. The subsistence chart shows day rate of $95.0 and hotel of $232.0 / day. If the employee managed to stay with a friend during the time. I understand that $95 is maximum payable without receipts? So total of $950 in this case?

Hi

Thanks for your question

No, as one would assume that breakfast and evening meal would be provided by the host - so you would look at the lunch costs, travel to the office and drinks, as this would be their only out of pocket expenses.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks. In this case however breakfast and dinner were out of pocket of employee. It was just an house with a furnished room in this case.

Hi

Then as you state the full $95 per day - so a total of $950 could be paid for the 10 days

Thanks