Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

as i am now an O.A.P. AM I entitled to a reduction in my council

Customer Question

as i am now an O.A.P. AM I entitled to a reduction in my council tax if yes how do i go about getting it done?
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that there is no discount in Council Tax simply because an individual has become an OAP. A 25% discount is available for those who live alone.

You may be entitled to Council Tax support if you are in receipt of a disability or a carer's benefit. If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit as a top up to your state pension, you may be entitled to some help with your Council Tax. You may also be entitled to help with your Council Tax if you are on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings. Take a look at the notes here and here for more information.

I'm sorry I've not been able to give you some good news. Let me know if you have any further questions.