How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TaxVince Your Own Question

TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
TaxVince is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking for some advice on transferring money to/from a relatives

Resolved Question:

Looking for some advice on transferring money to/from a relative's account.

1. What's the most tax efficient way of gifting money to relatives in UK?

2. Suppose I want to lend money interest free for 1 year, what's the best option? Does the receiver have to pay tax? What records are needed?

3. On the HMRC website it states 'monthly or other regular payments to someone' are exempt for tax. The term 'regular payments' is ambiguous - how frequent in days/weeks/months does it count as frequent (or how many payments per year)?

4. If I want to make use of the 7 year gift rule or any other means (including those discussed above), what records do I need to keep and is there a need to involve a lawyer / professional? (ie can it be a verbal agreement, or is there a need for written contract, and if so does it need to be drafted by a professional?)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  TaxVince replied 1 year ago.

MamaTax :

Hi Thanks for posting the question. Should you find the answer below incomplete or you are not fully answered, please drop a reply before rating.

MamaTax :

How much do you intent to give?
How often do you want to give?
Where is the recipient - UK resident?
Whats the use of the funds to the recipient?

There is no need for a lawyer or a professional. A simple letter or gift deed is enough. However i will provide full details once you have answered the above questions.



Here are 5 scenarios:

1. Brother - in UK, one-off payments eg to buy a car or repair house, 1-2k payments at irregular times depending on when the need arises

2. Brother - in UK, £100 a month for saving (for any emergency, future needs, or starting business in future)

3. Sister in law - in UK, 5k for investing loaned for 2 years interest free

4. Mom - in UK, one-off payment of 5k for trading/investing, might payback 3-5 years

5. Elderly Aunty - in East Africa, living expenses, £300 every 2-3 months

MamaTax :

Thanks for the reply and thanks for your patience as i was away.

Firstly you need to draft a gift deed for all these gifts- you can read more about this on HERE.

Any gifts you make to individuals will be exempt from Inheritance Tax as long as you live for seven years after making the gift. If you die within seven years and the total value of gifts you made is less than the Inheritance Tax threshold, then the value of the gifts is added to your estate and any tax due is paid out of the estate. However the gift deed will ensure that some gifts as ones below are not included in your inheritance even if you die within 7 years. The deed is not a requirement but documents and leaves an audit trail in case of HMRC enquiry.

1.You can make small gifts up to the value of £250 to as many individuals as you like in any one tax year. However, you can't give more than £250 and claim that the first £250 is a small gift. If you give an amount greater than £250 the exemption is lost altogether.

2.Regular gifts or payments that are part of your normal expenditure - say you earn £4k per month and you £100 a month to brother, £300 to aunt etc these are allowed as long as you document all that and can prove that your income supports that.


MamaTax :

So in conclusion you can make all these gifts, but have enough audit trail - particularly a gift deed. There are no tax implications for you and your receipients unless you die within 7 years.

MamaTax :

Hope this helps.


Thank you for your prompt and concise response. Excellent service!

TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
TaxVince and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Last | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
< Last | Next >
  • Andrew Baker(baktax)'s Avatar

    Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
  • TEAP007's Avatar


    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully Trained Inspector of Taxes / District Inspector/ Team Leader/ Offshore Consultant/ 41 years
  • berduchwal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified accountant and bookkeeper running my own practice since 2008.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Mrs-Tax's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law Degree, 19 years in UK Tax.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Exposure to general tax issues
  • AnthonyL's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    ATT, ATII, 12 years tax experience
Chat Now With An UK Tax Professional
Senior Accountant
885 Satisfied Customers
Chartered Accountant -->20 years + Qualified IFA