How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4861
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello,company have a self-emploed HGV driver, provide him truck

This answer was rated:

hello,company have a self-emploed HGV driver, provide him truck and fuel and pay for it correct?
thank you.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know if there is any reason you think it is not?


thanks.i houpe you give me answer ASAP.

Ben Jones :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX but can you first please let me know what your specific concerns about this arrangement are?


i want to make sure that my company does evrything correct.i am owner and have self-employed driver on this rate

Ben Jones :

I have consulted with a colleague and this is more of a tax question as the rates for mileage and who can claim them is really more of a tax issue than a law one. I will transfer your question to the correct category where someone will help. No need to respond in the meantime, thanks


thank you

Ben Jones :

no problem

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me ..
Is the truck company property?
Who is responsible for repairs, services, vehicle tax and truck insurance?
How is self employed remunerated for his services..fixed price for a job, hourly rate, rate per mile driven or other method?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes,truck is company property,but driver rent truck from company,use fuel,tax,insurance of company,but evrything deducted from his mile rate. if truck breaks-company repairs it,but if truck was brocken by driver-it is his responsibility to repair the vehicle. company pay to driver per mile.


Thank you for your reply and additional information and explanation.

It appears although the company funds the purchase of truck and pays for all running costs in the first place, the self employed driver is paying for it through the charge per mile. He has to pay for breakdowns out of his pocket only where he is held responsible. In your question you have asked if method of payment is correct.

It is not common practice to apply rate per mile subject to aforementioned deductions but a way of paying for services of self employed driver if both parties agree to it.

My advice is self employed driver has to ensure that the rate he charges per mile adequately covers not only the costs to be deducted from mileage rate but also gives him a decent wage. If he has an accountant, he should ask the accountant to cost the charges taking full account of expenses to be borne by the HGV driver.

Why has the company opted for this method of payment and not employed the driver on their payroll?

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond., Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4861
Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner) and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you