Sam Pathak
Sam Pathak, Mr S Pathak MBA FCCA CTA
Experience:  Tax Consultant & Freelance Lecturer over 9 years experience

Hello again.I know that the CGT is due by 31/01/14 as the

Hello again.I know that the CGT is due by 31/01/14 as the net gain occurred in November 2012 when the proceeds of the sale were received.Can you tell me what form has to be filled on behalf of the Estate and sent to HMRC,can it be filed online by 31/01/14 or does it need to be a paper return and received by HMRC on 31/10/13.And could I know what tax reference needs to be quoted on the form or is it the same ref as was on my late Aunt's self assessment forms returned in the years prior to her death.

Thank you for your question.

If you have not already done, first you need to complete and send a form called R27 to HMRC, link below:

This form will also confirm that you are the executor or personal representative (PR)to deal with the deceased's tax affairs. HMRC will then update their records, showing you as a PR, then allow you the access to HMRC Online on behalf of deceased.

You will need to use the deceased's existing UTR and/or NI number.

- You can file the return online, by 31 Jan 2014, as usual.

- Use the same UTR (ref) as before, as mentioned above.

If you require any additional help, HMRC Bereavement Helpline is there at 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN(8-8 M-F and 8-4 Sat), and they would also guide you (however lines may be very busy!).

I trust the above helps.

Kind regards
Sam Pathak