taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

On my clients 2012 Tax Return I claimed his motoring costs

On my client's 2012 Tax Return I claimed his motoring costs on the basis of actual expenditure for fuel, repairs etc. I now find that it would have been much more advantageous to have claimed on the basis of business mileage.

Can I amend the Return on this basis. I know I'm within the time limit and I also know that I should keep the same basis until he changes his car.
Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question...

You have until 31 Jan 2014 to amend your client's return.

You should be consistent in your application of basis for charging motoring costs. You can't claim actual expenditure in one year and mileage allowance in another to suit you or your client. If this is your first year of claim then you can amend it. If you have claimed actual in the past then the answer is NO.

Having chosen one method you should apply it throughout the life of that vehicle.

More information on amending your tax return can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/correct-repay.htm#2

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

- just to be certain you're saying that as 2012 was the first year of claim I can amend to a mileage basis provided that I use this method until he changes the car?

Thanks for prompt reply.

George, thank you for your reply.

As 2012 was the first year of claim, you can amend to a mileage basis if it is favourable and use it for every year until the car is charged.

George, thank you for accepting my answer.

Your bonus reward is greatly appreciated.

Good luck.