Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 83 years old. As well as my state pension I have two

I am 83 years old. As well as my state pension I have two personal pensions totalling just over £9000 p.a.(taxed at source). My wife and I also own a rental property and my half share is approx. £1200 p.a.
Can you please advise as to entitlement to married couples allowance as well as personal allowance which can be deducted from my income for tax purposes
Hi.

Can you tell me how much your state pension is and how much your wife's total annual income is please. Were you both born before 6 April 1935?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My query arose from the 2010/2011 Tax year when my pension was £6245 p.a. My wife's total income in that year was £5648.

Thanks.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

Provided you or your wife were born before 6 April 1935, you were entitled to the married couples' allowance for 2010/11 of £6,965 as you will see from the table here. The allowance will save you £696.50 in tax as tax relief is given at 10%. It's not a straight deduction from your income like the personal allowance. You can see how the married couples' allowance works here. The basic personal allowance for you in 2010/11 was £9,640 so the first £9,640 of your income in that year would be tax free.

The personal and married couples' allowances for 2011/12 to 2013/14 are here.

Please note that where your income is above a certain level for a tax year, you lose some or all of the age allowances and some of the married couples' allowance.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Icant see an ACCEPT button !

You seem to have found it now. Thanks for accepting my answer.

You should call the tax office on the number here to make sure your 2013/14 tax code has the married couples' allowance in it.