Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I left the UK for the UAE 02/01/2011. I have been a non-uk

I left the UK for the UAE 02/01/2011. I have been a non-uk resident for 2 complete tax years. I am considering returning to the UK mid tax year 31/12/13. Upon becoming a Uk resident mid tax year will my overseas income from tax year 12/13 up to that point subject to UK income tax? Or would I qualify for split year treatment?

Hi

Thanks for your question

The income you have earned from being non resident from 02/01/2011 to the date you return (31/12/2013) will ALL be exempt from UK tax, so yes, you will qualify for split year treatment for the tax year 2013/2014, and only have a UK tax liability from 01/01/2014 on income that arises on or after that date.

Thanks