Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I am supplied with a Car Allowance and a Fuel card

Customer Question

I am supplied with a Car Allowance and a Fuel card for both business and private miles for use with my own car. I am tax on the car allowance With regards XXXXX XXXXX fuel card I am taxed as per the car fuel benefit tables rather than the actual fuel used. 1) Is this correct? 2) Am I able to mitigate the tax burden (which ever way it is calculated)by making a claim with HMRC for the business element of mileage undertaken? - ie only pay tax on the private element.

Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - thanks

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your requested professional hasn't replied yet. We appreciate your patience. Please let me know if you would like me to open your question to the other professionals for this topic, or if you prefer to wait a little longer to hear back from Sam.

Thank you.

Lindie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm ok to wait a little longer
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Rachel

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I am still waiting on a response.

Please see if you can arrange for someone else to answer.

Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 12 months ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you are using your own Car, this is what you should be taxed and benefited with. From what I understand from your question, you are not taking the benefit of ‘Mileage Allowance Relief’

While calculating your liability, kindly go through the following link in detail.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/relief-mileage.htm#2

Further to this, regarding the fuel, it would be correct to use the benefits table in the manner you are using currently. Had you been using the company vehicle, for business travel you can get tax relief on fuel costs, less any payments repaid by your employer and covered by a 'dispensation'.. In your case, your current method is correct.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we get credited for assisting you. Alternatively please feel free to reply with further queries if you have and I would be more than happy to assist you further.

Warm Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for that -

"From what I understand from your question, you are not taking the benefit of ‘Mileage Allowance Relief’ "

How do I go about making the claim - through my p11d or direct through HMRC?

Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 11 months ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your follow up question.

Mileage Allowance Relief -- This is applicable if you use YOUR vehicle business mileage.

How to calculate and claim it ? As mentioned in the following link.

YES, it would be done through P11D.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards
Dear Friend,

Is there anything more I can assist you with?

Warm Regards