How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TaxVince Your Own Question

TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
TaxVince is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir or Madam, Id appreciate your advice on the following:

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I’d appreciate your advice on the following: My husband and I are non-UK residents and we don’t plan to live in the UK. He wants to sell his only buy-to-let property in England, which he solely owns. He has accumulated substantial rental income losses and currently owns no other property in the UK. I currently own 3 buy-to-let properties in England which are in my sole name. In order not to lose the facility to carry forward his losses, we would like to transfer one property of mine to my husband via a Declaration of Trust. (The alternative option to transfer the title deeds would be complicated, as it would involve asking my mortgage providers to agree to transfer the mortgage also.) We believe the Declaration of Trust should involve a 100% share for my husband, if this is possible, due to the following HMRC guideline: “If a taxpayer has let property of his own and is a member of a partnership which has rental income, losses of his personal rental business cannot be set against his share of the partnership's rental income.” -
Please advise us as to whether the above is an acceptable course of action.
We would also like to know if we should subsequently submit Form 17 to HMRC.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  TaxVince replied 2 years ago.

MamaTax :



Its MamaTax Here!

Thanks for the Question.

Property losses are not off-settable against other forms of income as you may already know. Therefore your husband’s rental losses can only be offset against future rental profits. These losses are effectively ring-fenced in the "property business" so can be offset against other property income for example if you have one profitable and ther other is not profitable property the losses can reduce the overall tax due. As long as he continues to have a property rental business those loses are off-settable.

To come back to your question, as long as he always have at least one UK rental property he will still have a UK property business even if the business is bought transferred from the wife. .What he cant do is to sell/transfer ALL the property (ies) otherwise he will lose the losses carried forward.

The quotation on your question refers to partnerships and not relevant in this case. Besides its well-known that property businesses buy new properties and sell some –otherwise no one would be able to claim the losses.


JACUSTOMER-qe763buw- :

Thank you for your reply. My questions, however, were specifically:


  • whether a Declaration of Trust would be acceptable to HMRC, as a means of continuing my husband’s property business, hence carrying forward his losses.

  • whether the Declaration of Trust could be apportioned 100% to my husband because, as I understand it, he can only carry losses forward against the same rental business, ie as sole trader, and cannot mix and match properties owned in his sole name with properties owned jointly.

  • whether we would be required to subsequently submit Form 17 to HMRC, given that my husband would be a 100% beneficiary, i.e. not sharing the benefits/costs with me.

MamaTax :

Apologies as i was away.

Thanks for your patience .Your husband is not on the deeds as you have sole ownership, hence Form 17 ios not necessary. However you should use a declaration of trust can then be used to apportion the beneficial interest in the property rather than add him to the deeds - simpler and cheaper. Give him 99% of the property so you retain a small proportion so that you will obtain letting relief in due course when you sell.When you come to sell, review the 99:1 position for its tax effectiveness.

JACUSTOMER-qe763buw- :

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if in a Declaration of Trust the beneficiary can be granted 100% of the transfer? This is important, because I have read that he can only carry his accumulated losses forward (from the property he'll sell) if he continues his property business as a sole trader. My concern is that my retaining even 1% of benefit would change the nature of his business, so that he would ne longer be classified as a sole trader.

MamaTax :

Thanks again for the reply

1. Yes you can use Declaration of interest documents to transfer 100% ownership without changing the deeds. This is effectively a trust document which needs to be properly written – get a good solicitor to draft one for you.

2. The rental losses incurred on the letting could be carried forward indefinitely to offset against any rental business future profit under the Income Tax Act 2007, look at S 118 and S 119. The limitations are placed on partnerships.


MamaTax :

Could you please let me know if you are answered. If not please drop me a message. If sorted please could you rate the question before you go.

TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
TaxVince and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • TEAP007

    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully Trained Inspector of Taxes / District Inspector/ Team Leader/ Offshore Consultant/ 41 years
< Last | Next >
  • TEAP007's Avatar


    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully Trained Inspector of Taxes / District Inspector/ Team Leader/ Offshore Consultant/ 41 years
  • Andrew Baker(baktax)'s Avatar

    Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
  • berduchwal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified accountant and bookkeeper running my own practice since 2008.
  • Mrs-Tax's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law Degree, 19 years in UK Tax.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Exposure to general tax issues
  • AnthonyL's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    ATT, ATII, 12 years tax experience
  • Simon Hamilton's Avatar

    Simon Hamilton

    Chartered Management Accountant

    Satisfied Customers:

    CIMA - Chartered Institue of Managment Accountants