Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

I have been self employed but work has dried up so am now receiving

I have been self employed but work has dried up so am now receiving income support as my youngest child is under 5 . I have been offered work (this will be a single project lasting about 2 weeks) which i can take up - i intend to tell DWP obviously they will withold some benefits but will i have to come off IS - iF so what are the implications - does hours per week / amount earned make a difference ?

If you work more than 16 hours per week you will lose your income support. If you work less than 16 hours per week, the first £20 per week of earnings will be disregarded for income support purposes but the balance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your income support I'm afraid.

This is really a tax advice website so I'm not sure what the implications of taking a two week assignment would have on your eligibility to continue with income support after it ended would be in terms of being able to re-start your claim if you work more than 16 hours per week for the two weeks and I'd recommend that you contact the helpline just over halfway down the page here for specific advice on that.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just to clarify - am i correct in thinking that at worst i can come off IS for 2 weeks then restart my claim - I think there is a so called speedy system for those who reapply

There is a process called "Rapid Reclaim" which you can read about on page 19 here. It speeds up the re-start of income support for those returning to it within 26 weeks of coming off the benefit.