taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hi there,I took up a 2nd part-time job at the end of last

Customer Question

Hi there,
I took up a 2nd part-time job at the end of last year and need some help with my tax and NI. I have prepared a list of questions below that I would like answered.

A) Is my 2nd job employed or self employed? I work for a translation and interpretation
agency on an ad-hoc basis who pay fixed rates for each job.
B) I pay tax and NI in my main employment. How much Tax and NI will I have to pay for
my 2nd self employed job?
C) How and when do I pay this? Do I need to do a self assessment?

Thanks for your help.

Karolina
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Karolina, thank you for your question...

You could argue this is self employment and not employment. This being the case you should register for self assessment as self employed. You can register online and the link is here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/register.htm

Look for Register online for self assessment and national insurance contributions

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/CWF1ST?dept-name=CWF1&sub-dep

my 2nd self employed job?

As far as tax is concerned, provided your total income from all sources is below £41,450 in the current tax year before personal allowance of £9,440, you will pay tax at basic rate of 20%.

For NI contributions, you will only have to pay Class 2 NI if your earnings from self employment are in excess of £5,725 per year (2013-14) and the NI rate is £2.70 per week.

You will pay tax and Class 4 NI once you have filed your tax return as the tax/Class 4 NI is calculated when you file your self assessment tax return. Normally tax is payable in two instalments – Jan and Jul. For tax year 2013-14 the payment dates are Jan 2013 and Jul 2013. Any balance outstanding must be cleared before Jan 2014.

More information on Class 2 National Insurance is covered here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/intro/class2.htm

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Hi Karolina

I notice you have viewed my answer to your original question on Tax and NI liability etc arising from your second job (Customer Last Viewed on 7/20/2013 at 11:22 PM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

Hi Karolina

You asked questions on how you should treat your second job and what the tax and NI implications are. I have answered your questions and also advised how you can register for self assessment and given you information on national insurance rates.

If you were to provide me with some details of your earnings from second job, I will happily do some tax and NI payable calculations for you.

You may not wish to pay me for the service I provided but I would request you to review your rating as the service provided to you was far from poor service.

You will notice another expert on this site also agrees with my answer and service.

Poor rating reflects negatively on my professional service and standing and I wish you to please reconsider your rating. I am a professional accountant in practice with many years experience and this is exactly what I would advise to my clients if they asked the question.