Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  Exposure to general tax issues

How long is a UK bank cheque valid? (From HM Tax).

Thanks for your patience.

If it is for a personal cheque then the cheque should say on it. However, the industry standard for cheques from most high street banks is 6 months from the date of the issue of the cheque.

If you are in France and you are attempting to cash the cheque there in to a French account then it is possible that they may have their own particular rules.

If you are in the UK cashing a cheque then doing so within 6 months of issue is fine 9 times out of 10.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX - but two more questions:

- would HM Tax replace the cheque - dated February - if I ask them? (I was ill from February to June, and still trying to sort out problems UK Tax v. UK Pensions),

- if I wasn't due the money (reimbursement for tax unduly paid) they sent me, could they ask me to pay it back, if so, how many years is the possible recovery period, and would I have to pay interest with the reimbursement?

The above is the result of a dispute between UK pensions and UK tax as to what was or wasn't owed to me, retrenched positions both sides. (I'm a UK long-term non-resident.)

I will as were at nine am.

I would expect them to replace the cheque if you are able to return the unpresented cheque to them with an explanation for why it remained uncashed.

If the money was not properly payable to you then they will be able to ask for the return of such money, if it was made in error.

You would probably have to argue over the interest and come to a compromise.

Please rate my answer