Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years

I work interstate (SA)in the mines and have come home 5times

Customer Question

I work interstate (SA)in the mines and have come home 5times to Victoria in last financial year. On my payment summary I have a rent accomodation allowance of $8500 . I pay accomodation expenses at the mines and have spent $2000.00 on returning to my home in airfares. Question? Can I claim my accomodation expenses at the mines as a tax deduction against the rental allowance and can I claim my airfares to come home on my weeks off.i wanted to clarify that this is a tax question and it relates to Australia specifically south Australia and Victoria
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 12 months ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Deductible education expenses vary by category of activity in relation to a taxpayer’s earned income. A taxpayer may incur costs in undertaking a course of study or other education activity, such as conferences and workshops, including tuition fees, registration fees, student amenity fees, textbooks, professional and trade journals, travel and accommodation expenses (this applies to YOU), computer expenses and stationery. Deductible expenses are those incurred in the production of the taxpayer’s current assessable income.

YES. You would certainly be able to deduct accommodation expenses at the mines against your Rental Allowance.

Traveling expenses incurred in the course of the taxpayer's work or in traveling between one place of business and another will be deductible - for example motor vehicle expenses, air, bus, train or taxi fares, car rental costs etc.

So, your air fare expenses of $2000 would NOT be deductible. Only those expenses are deductible which are incurred towards traveling from your place of stay to place of work daily. For example, daily commute. You would be able to claim this ONLY IF your employer specifically gives you travel allowance for this.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as that is the only way we receive credit for assisting you. Alternatively feel absolutely free to revert with more queries if you have.

Warm Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello thank you for your answer but I am not sure if you have understood the question. My question has nothing to do with education expenses and your answer pertains to travel expenses related to education expenses. Specifically my rent accomodation allowance on my payment summary is an allowance given to me to help pay for accomodation expenses whilst at the mines working .i want to know if I can claim my accomodation expense whilst living at the mines on my 2013 income tax return against the allowance given to reduce my taxable income. The allowance stated on my payment summary has been taxed. The question is ... Can I claim my accomodation expenses as a tax deductible expense on my tax return . This is an Australian tax law question.

Thank you for clarifying this
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 11 months ago.
Dear Shane,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your follow up question.

I got your question correctly. I just listed some of the expenses that can be deducted though they were not relevant for you.

In your case, YES. YOU CAN certainly claim your accommodation expenses as a tax deductible expense on your tax return. I am aware this is a Australian question.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards
Dear Shane,

Is there anything more I can help you with ?

Warm Regards