taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

im a freelancer film visual effects artist in the uk. I have

im a freelancer film visual effects artist in the uk. I have a job offer to work in singapore for four months. The tax rate in Singapore is around 15%. When doing my end of year accounts will i have to pay any extra tax to the uk government?

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question..

As a UK resident for tax purposes, your income arising in the UK and outside the UK is assessable to UK income tax.

You will get credit for foreign tax suffered on income earned outside the UK. You should complete supplementary pages SA106 when completing your UK tax return.

More information on this can be found here

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=EZbpjD2hV2M&formId=3188

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your answer so I would end up paying the same rate of tax as if I was working in the uk ? I ask as they have asked me what rate I wold need considering their lower tax in Singapore but I guess I'd need my uk rate if I am going to end up paying the uk tax rate in the end. Is their a period I need to working in a country for the tax rate of Singapore to apply rather than pay any tax in the uk?

Gareth, thank you for your reply.

You have to be working outside the UK for a whole tax year i.e. 6 Apr to 5 Apr following)in order to avoid UK tax on that income. Otherwise as you live in the UK you are deemed resident in the UK for tax purposes and pay UK tax rates.