Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

HI SAM. I AM SELF EMPLOYED AND DURING THE YEAR ATTEND A NUMBER

HI SAM. I AM SELF EMPLOYED AND DURING THE YEAR ATTEND A NUMBER OF CONFERENCES IN THE UK & MAINLAND EUROPE. WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH FOR ME TO TAKE WHEN CLAIMING FOR SUBSISTENCE & IS THERE A FLAT RATE AMOUNT TO BE CLAIMED?

HI

Thanks for your question

Were the conferences in line with your trade, please advise your trade, and what was your purpose for attending them.

Did any of the attendances tie in with anything other than trade related (so for example, did any of the mainland Europe places, extend into a personal stay, or include personal visits to attractions etc)

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a chess professional and the trips were to attend chess exhibitions and to play in competitions. No personal stays or visits to attractions involved.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your response and the additional information.

Then if for at least two days then. you can claim all costs - both travel to and from, and overnight costs and food purchased for these trips.

If its just for a day, and there is the means for you to take your own foods and consume them on the premises,then just the travel to and from, allowable.

But in this instance there is no flat rate, just the reasonable expenditure incurred.

Thanks