taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am a (British) Resident of China spending no more than 3

I am a (British) Resident of China spending no more than 3 weeks a year in the UK. I own two properties in the UK, do I need to pay UK income tax on the rental income of these properties?

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question...

Income from property is chargeable to income tax. As a UK national you are entitled to UK Personal allowance against that rental income.

More information on this can be found here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/rdrmmanual/rdrm10340.htm

The basic allowance for current tax year is £9,440. if your net rental income exceeds your personal allowance, then the access up to £32,010 would be taxed at basic rate 20%.

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much for your answer. just to confirm:

I would only have to pay uk tax on the properties, and not my world-wide income or other non-uk income? (because I'm a resident of China and pay tax there.)

Robert, thank you for your reply.

As a non-resident for UK tax purposes, you will only pay tax on income arising in the UK...i.e. income from properties in the UK.