TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
68927923

Can you help me please or direct me in right direction. In

Can you help me please or direct me in right direction.

In August I am emigrating to Ireland & I may be able to work from home in Ireland but still be employed by my UK company. I have not approached my company yet because I am concerned about the tax element. My parents are both Irish so I would we able to become a Irish Resident.

I know there is Double Taxation between Ireland & England. I just need to know whether this would be feasible & would my UK company have to do anything – if they have to do anything then it might not be possible to remain working for them.

Obviously, I would still pay National Insurance & UK Tax and would I have to prepare a self-assessment in Ireland showing what Tax I paid in UK.

At present my direct boss has said he would recommend I could work from home.

Can you kindly advise please a little lost on how I proceed!

Thank you
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  TaxVince replied 1 year ago.

MamaTax :

Hi Its MamaTax Here!

MamaTax :

Thanks for the question.

MamaTax :

If you are working in Ireland, there is no reason for you to pay UK Tax on your salary- even though the company is UK resident, as you wont be a UK tax resident then.,You will ofcourse be liable to taxes in Ireland- but I suggest you contact someone the Revenue in Ireland to register for tax there.

MamaTax :

Since you have been an employee in UK previously, you may need to tell HMRC that you are emigrating to Ireland so that they dont think you are still living in UK and not paying tax here. Its worth submitting a P85 form which you can find on HMRC website. The employer can apply to the HMRC Centre for Non-Residents for an "NT" Tax code.

MamaTax :

Once HMRC are satisfied that the employee is non-resident, they should issue an "NT" tax code to both the employee and the employer which allows the payment of salary without deduction of income tax. You can still pay NI should you wish (voluntarily), though you will need to check with Ireland on how this works out as there is an EU agreement around this area,

MamaTax :

Let me know if this suffices. If not please let me know.

MamaTax :

If you are ok with the answer, could you please rate the question before you go so that i can get paid for the time.

MamaTax :

Regards

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

MamaTax :

Hi there. Thanks for coming back.

Customer:

Hi, my employee in UK would pay in GBP I presume, how would this work.? Thank you John

MamaTax :

I dont see any problems the employer paying in GBP. We have a lot of clients who are paid in different currencies. I dont think you should be concerned.

TaxVince, Accountant
Experience: Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA