taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based)

Completing a CT600 for year ending 31-jan-2012. Im unsure

Completing a CT600 for year ending 31-jan-2012. I'm unsure which boxes to include which figues in and need help with this. I do my own PAYE and VAT and everything else, so as I have such a simple case, I don't want to fork out loads for an accountant to fill it in for me. Any pointers or guidance would be appreciated!

My LTD company is small (just me + my wife). My accounts/records/balance sheet is just a few pages of simple entries:

Monthly Fees into the company from clients
Monthly PAYE + tax out of the company to myself (wife's didn't take a salary until april 2012).
Ad-hoc Accom/living expenses out of the company (I do training courses across the UK and claim for my out of pocket living expenses)
Ad-hoc Accom/living expenses into the company (the above expenses claims are passed to my clients)
Monthly expenses out of the company (phone, postage, use of home as office + small amounts of mileage)
Monthly Bank interest (untaxed)
4 Dividends

Company has no assets (I use a personal laptop and PC).
Company has a single £1 share for myself as a the sole executive director (is this the right term?)

When I finally get past the Capital and reserves figures, I have to agree with the 3 statements, but don't know what they mean:
1. For the year ending 31 Jan 2012 the company was entitled to exemption under section 477 of the
Companies Act 2006 relating to small companies.

2. The members have not required the company to obtain an audit in accordance with section 476 of the Companies Act 2006.

3. The directors acknowledge their responsibilities for complying with the requirements of the
Act with respect to accounting records and the preparation of accounts.

I don't know what FRSSE is, so should I tick either:

1. "These accounts have been prepared in accordance with the provisions applicable to
companies subject to the small companies regime and in accordance with the Financial
Reporting Standard for Smaller Entities (effective 2008)."

or

2. "These accounts have been prepared in accordance with the provisions applicable to
companies subject to the small companies regime."
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

I am happy to help you complete CT 600 .. I filed a couple of them yesterday.

Small companies are allowed to file abbreviated accounts with the Companies House and are normally exempt from audit requirements. Tthese exemptions are covered under sec 477 and 476.

When I file accounts for my clients who are small companies, I put X for points 1-3 and then accounts produced in accordance with FRSSE (effective 2008). This is a Financial reporting standard covering small companies.

The statements you are required to acknowledge are standard statements applicable to small companies in the main.

Please come back with any other questions you may have and I will do my best to help you complete the return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful information about the tickboxes, but the main part of my question is that I'm unsure which boxes to include which figues in and need help with this. I have complete books and invoice records etc. The original question lists the 7 types of numbers I have on my monthly accounts, I need help with which box (AC12-70) to include which figures in:

So far:I have included my monthly invoices and incoming expenses in box AC12 - turnover: £44,491.
My salary and outgoing expenses in box AC14 - cost of sales: £13,086.
My monthly expenses (phone, postage, home office costs) in AC20 - administrative expenses: £3,559.
My bank interest in AC28 - interest: £12.
This generated an AC36, profit of £27,858

I put my dividends in box AC38 (£11,313) and got net balance of £16,545 in AC40.

I've left AC42-50 at zeroI put £7,323 in AC52 for debtors - these were 2 invoices that hadn't been paid by the 31/1/12, but had been included in the AC12-36 boxes.

Bank balance was £11,438 on the 31st Jan 2012, so that went in box AC54.

This gives me a net assets of £18,761.

Does the above look like I've filled in the correct numbers in the right boxes?

What should I put in AC70 (£1?), AC76 and AC74?

Given my limited knowledge, am I likely to ancounter further confusion in the 3 subsequent sections of the CT600 form - accounts notes, directors report, accounts review?

Thank you for prompt response ..

I will key the numbers in my model and come back to you for more information

is this your first set of accounts that you are filing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. My company started on 7th Jan 2011. Period 7/1/11 to 31/1/12 is my first set of accounts.

Thank you for your response ...

Did you actually start to trade on 7 Jan 2011 was that the date company was formed?

If you started to trade on 1 Feb 2011 then you will have to file just one set of CT600 return otherwise two ... one covering the period 7 Jan 2011 to 6 Jan 2012 and the second covering 7 Jan 2012 to 31 Jan 2012.

You will have to have two sets of accounts to cover the period longer than 12 months.

You have not mentioned about creditors .. were there any? Did you pay for certain expenditure that had not been reimbursed to you at year end date?

There is an apparent difference on your balance sheet of £2,515 see below.

Descriptionthis yearthis year
of accountboxamount
PROFIT AND LOSS
TURNOVERAC1244,491
COST OF SALESAC1413,086
GROSS PROFITAC1631,405
DISTRIBUTION COSTSAC180
ADMINISTRATIVE EXPENSESAC203,559
OTHER OPERATION INCOMEAC220
OPERATING PROFIT OR (LOSS)AC2627,846
INTEREST RECEIVABLEAC2812
INTEREST PAYABLEAC300
PROFIT OR (LOSS) BEFORE TAXAC3227,858
TAXAC340
PROFIT OR (LOSS) FOR THE YEARAC3627,858
DIVIDENDS FOR THE PERIODAC3811,313
TRANSFERRED TO RESERVESAC4016,545
Descriptionthis yearthis year
of accountboxamount
BALANCE SHEET
INTANGIBLE ASSETSAC420
TANGIBLE ASSETSAC440
TOTAL FIXED ASSETSAC480
STOCKSAC500
DEBTORSAC527,323
CASH AT BANK AND IN HANDAC5411,438
TOTAL CURRENT ASSETSAC5618,761
CREDITORS DUE WITHIN ONE YEARAC580
NET CURRENT ASSETSAC6018,761
TOTAL ASSETS LESS CURRENT LIABILITIESAC6218,761
CREDITORS DUE AFTER MORE THAN ONE YEARAC640
PROVISION FOR LIABILITIESAC660
TOTAL NET ASSETSAC6818,761
CAPITAL AND RESERVES
CALLED UP SHARE CAPITALAC701
REVALUATION RESERVEAC760
PROFIT AND LOSS ACCCOUNTAC7416,545
TOTAL SHAREHOLDERS FUNDSAC8016,546
Differencexxxx2,215

You should move salaries from cost of sales to admin costs

I await your comments

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The period for return confused me too. The company was formed on 7/1/11. It is recorded as dormant for 2 days until 9/1/11 (I started working then). According to the HMRC website I have to submit 2 CT600s: One for 9/1/11 to 10/1/12, then another small one from 11/1/12 to 31/1/12.

However, the CT600 that I have downloaded from them to complete has the whole period in 1 form: Box AC3 is 7/1/11 and box AC4 is 31/1/12. I simply assumed they had made the sensible decision to included the extra 2 weeks in Jan 2012 in my first return. Is this something to do with it being a joint filing with companies house perhaps?

I also can't explain the discrepancy between the numbers. My records are complete and really quite straight forward (just a few pages of excel!).

Thank you for your response...

You have two choices ....

File the accounts by downloading the abbreviated accounts PDF file from Companies House .. the first set of accounts to be filed at Companies House cover the period to 31 Jan 2012 (your accounting reference date) . As you file the Balance Sheet only you won't have to produce accounts for two separate periods. It is a snap shot of balance at a given date.

or

File the accounts with Companies House using HMRC software... as your first accounting period covers more than 12 months, you will have to file two CT600 returns.

You stated you started working on 9 Jan 2011. When did you generate your first sales invoice? I have in the past called the tax office and agreed with them that we treat start of business on 1st of the month following month of incorporation and alleviate apportionment of profits into days in the accounting period ie 365/388days and 23/388days.

Otherwise you will have to file two sets of CT600.

Now coming to the difference ... does your spreadsheet balance?

I am surprised you are not showing any creditors?

If all other numbers are correct, then the difference is most likely to be creditors.

Were there any PAYE deductions on your salary? If so, what was owed to HMRC at 31 Jan 2012?

If you are able to send figures from your spreadsheet, I will happily check for you.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning,

I think I'll therefore have to file two returns as my first (expenses) invoice is before the end of my initial month of trading. As I'll have to do 2 CT600 returns, do these still get copied to companies house, or do I have to submit a separate balance sheet to them for either of the periods?

The big problem I have now is that the CT600 form is wrong right at the start. In the header information for the PDF form it states that I'm returning for 10/1/11 - 9/1/12, but on the main 'about the company' page the 'period of accounts' is set at 7/1/11 - 31/1/12 (box AC3 and AC4). I can't change these boxes! What should I do about that?

I've realised that the difference in my balance sheet could be down to VAT - all the figures in the CT600 are net of VAT, but of course my bank balance includes some VAT. I presume I therefore include HMRC as a creditor and enter the VAT due at the end of my accounting period as a creditor amount?

Good morning Gareth

Thank you for your response.

I know there appears to be inconsistency in the dates reported.

This is what I would do if I were preparing these accounts ...

File an abbreviated balance sheet at Companies House using their template and cover the period to Jan 2012.. it is not a big exercise..tick the box that says its first set of accounts to be filed.

Download a fresh CT600 PDF file from HMRC website and start afresh.

I will be happy to continue helping you if need be.

What is important is that you report correct financial numbers and pay CT on those profits.

Put your difference as creditors and this will make total net assets equal shareholders funds. I think your creditors are not properly reflected.

If you need more information please let me know.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice; I will file an abbreviated balance sheet at Companies House for period 7/1/11 to 31/1/12. Their form is nice and simple! I will then do a CT600 for 10/1/11 to 9/1/12, then another for 10/1/12 to 31/1/12. I can complete these without joint submitting to companies house, so the dates will be entered manually and will be correct!

I will probably just need a little guidance in getting the numbers in the right boxes on my 2 CT600 forms. Is it OK to leave this support question open for a few days while I complete the CT600 forms. I won't get a chance to do the forms until this evening, as I'm working for a client today. Is it therefore OK with you if I post a reply question this evening for assistance with the numbers when I have details ready?

Oh, one thing I did spot on the CT600 form is after the main 'numbers' part of the CT600, it goes on to 'Statutory Accounts Notes' and it has a few boxes with 'X's already. It appears to want me to provide textual information at this stage? What information are they looking for, as 'Accounting policies' 'called up share capital', and 'profit and loss account' are all ticked?

Gareth, thank you for your response.

I am glad you have opted to file abbreviated accounts separately.

I think I have answered/addressed your original question.

I will be happy to assist you with further questions but in fairness you should put them as a separate question and ask for me when posting the question.

The boxes in the statutory accounts notes... you don't have to put anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original question asked for help with which boxes to fill in on my CT600. My assumptions were all correct, except for salary - it should be included in admin, rather than sales costs.

A follow up to the point on the 'statutory accounts notes' section, do I just remove the 'X' marks that it has auto-checked for me? Should I leave one X in place and tell them that HMRC (VAT AND income tax) are creditors, or just leave creditors as a simple number on the form?

I think I will be ok completing these CT600 forms now, I was just hoping you could hang on and hand-hold me through the numbers! I'm happy to close this question when you reply to the 'X' point above.

Thanks for all the advice - you've made the process much clearer and steered me through a job which is confusing for a beginner!

Thank you for your response.

You don't remove the "X" marks but on the next page leave blanks...

You don't have to provide details of your creditors when completing CT600 return... just show them as creditors due within one year as one figure.

Gareth, I will answer any questions you have when completing the CT600 return .. just send me a reply ...

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm doing the CT600 for period 10/1/11 to 9/1/12 first. I have 3 invoices (2 for incoming money for client fees and 1 outgoing amount for employee expenses). In the profit and loss boxes AC12, AC14 etc, should I include invoices that have been issued, but not yet paid, or do I not add these numbers in here? I have include the value of those invoices in my debtors box on the balance sheet page?

Thank you for your response

I suggest you reproduce the accounts on a spreadsheet with three columns to cover

year to 09/01/12, period to 31/01/12 and TOTAL (this total should agree with the numbers we reviewed earlier).

In your p&l account you should include all invoices raised for fee income whether paid or not in the accounting period.

Once you are happy with the split, share it with me and finally input them into CT600.

balance sheet at 09/01/12 should be relatively easy ... get correct bank balance and invoices outstanding (debtors incl VAT).

The profit and loss balance and share capital should be straight forward .. we will put balancing figure in creditors.

many thanks

Gareth, a practical suggestion to you

consider this as an alternative ...

I calculated your CT on apportionment basis as 365/388 and 23/388 and the total tax on a profit of £16.545 is £3343.54

On the other hand, if i say all profits were earned in the period to 9 jan 2012 and no activity for period 10/01/2012 to 31/01/2012 the tax is £3,345.72.

You could show all P&L items in 1st CT600 return and show actual bank balances, debtors at 09/01/2012 and 31/01/2012.

Give it some thought..

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I go back to basics for a minute. I have a list of all transactions in excel that cover all incomings and outgoings for my company from start to present. Every entry ties to a bank account transaction. Against every transaction I have the invoice/transaction date and the banking date, transaction type, the VAT in/out and the NET in/out and they are all listed in transaction date order.

Period 09/1/11 to 10/1/12 has 106 entries, which summarise as:

Client Expenses (In) £5,764

Client Fees (In) £31,000

Employee Salary (Out) £5,578

Employee Expenses Client Work (Out) £5,889

Employee Expenses ITGT Expenses (Out) £3,364

Bank Interest (In) £10

Dividend (Out) £11,313

VAT Payment (Out) £0

TAX / NI Payment (Out) £47

Other info:

The Bank balance at 9/1/12: £7,651

Unpaid VAT in bank balance £1,203

Invoices (net) not paid (2 of) £4,129

Unpaid VAT for unpaid invoices £826

I am trying to convert these figures into the appropriate boxes on the CT600 (this was my initial reason for asking for help). I have come up with:

Box AC12 - Turnover. (fees + expenses): £36,764

Box AC14 - Cost Of Sales. (employee expenses): £5,889

AC16 calculates as £30,875

Box AC20 - Administrative Expenses (salary + company expenses): £8,989

AC26 calculates as £21,886

Box AC28 - Interest Received: £10

AC36 calculates as £21,896

Box AC38 - Dividends: £11,313

AC40 calculates as £10,583

Net Invoiced amounts unpaid at 9/1/12: £4,129 (AC52)

Bank balance at 9/1/12: £7,651 (AC54)

AC56 calculates as £11,780

Unpaid VAT on paid invoices, at 9/1/12: £1,203 (AC58)

AC68 calculates as £10,577

I've got £1 in AC70, then £10,576 in AC74, but I don't know what these numbers are - I have to do this to make the number in AC80 match that calculated for AC68. Not sure why?!!

After the statutory accounts notes pages in the CT600, there is another profit and loss page which pre-populates as follows:

AC184 = 0

AC185 = £21,896

AC186 = £11,313

AC187 = £10,583 (which matches AC40!)

I press next and CT600 says that the "retained profit must tally with the value in the balance sheet" and won't let me continue.

Thank you for your response ...

I have input the numbers in the model ... there is a difference and I have adjusted the creditor by this amount to make the balance sheet agree

You say box AC 52 is net invoiced amounts unpaid .. the figure should be inclusive of VAT (the debtor is invoice total including VAT) If this amount is greater than £4,129 then adjust the creditor with the difference.

Adjusted numbers are

Descriptionthis yearthis year
of accountboxamount
PROFIT AND LOSS
TURNOVERAC1236,764
COST OF SALESAC145,889
GROSS PROFITAC1630,875
DISTRIBUTION COSTSAC180
ADMINISTRATIVE EXPENSESAC208,989
OTHER OPERATION INCOMEAC220
OPERATING PROFIT OR (LOSS)AC2621,886
INTEREST RECEIVABLEAC2810
INTEREST PAYABLEAC300
PROFIT OR (LOSS) BEFORE TAXAC3221,896
TAXAC340
PROFIT OR (LOSS) FOR THE YEARAC3621,896
DIVIDENDS FOR THE PERIODAC3811,313
TRANSFERRED TO RESERVESAC4010,583
Descriptionthis yearthis year
of accountboxamount
BALANCE SHEET
INTANGIBLE ASSETSAC420
TANGIBLE ASSETSAC440
TOTAL FIXED ASSETSAC480
STOCKSAC500
DEBTORSAC524,955
CASH AT BANK AND IN HANDAC547,651
TOTAL CURRENT ASSETSAC5612,606
CREDITORS DUE WITHIN ONE YEARAC582,022
NET CURRENT ASSETSAC6010,584
TOTAL ASSETS LESS CURRENT LIABILITIESAC6210,584
PROVISION FOR LIABILITIESAC660
TOTAL NET ASSETSAC6810,584
CAPITAL AND RESERVES
CALLED UP SHARE CAPITALAC701
REVALUATION RESERVEAC760
PROFIT AND LOSS ACCCOUNTAC7410,583
TOTAL SHAREHOLDERS FUNDSAC8010,584

Descriptionthis yearthis year
of accountboxamount
PROFIT AND LOSS
profit or (loss) for current year after taxac3621,896
dividends for the periodac3911,313
net balances transferred to reservesac4010,583
STATUTORY ACCOUNTS NOTES
profit and loss - opening balanceac1840
profit for the periodac18521,896
equity dividends paidac18611,313
retained profitac18710,583

Let me know what you think

many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AC52 box is exactly the figure you calculated when I add in the VAT (makes sense as that number will arrive in my bank). If I then include that VAT in the creditors box (AC58), I get a figure just £1 out from what you have above. I'll put that down to rounding and go with the £2,022.

or...

should I put £2,023 in AC58 and put zero in AC70? I'm still not sure why we put £1 in AC70! I know there is a single share worth £1 in my company, but its not in my books anywhere, so does not appear in any of my numbers.

I have about 8 transactions that will be included in the period 10/1/12 to 31/1/12, so that should be a little easier. Will the CT600 ask me for previous years figures? If so, should I enter the above figures, or is my second CT600 still part of my first year's figures?

Thank you for your prompt response ...

I hope this is all making sense now ...

Lets address the issue of £1 .. have you issued any shares to yourself?

My suggestion, treat £1 as issued share capital and adjust creditors for the rounding difference. My figures had assumed issued share capital of £1

Once you are happy with all the figures, these figures will become your year one figures when you complete CT600 for the second accounting period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I ask please - where does the figure we enter in AC74 (profit and loss account) come from? It appears to be the 'total net assets' minus the 'called up share capital', but I don't see the point in doing this as the CT600 then adds them together again to arrive back at the 'total net assets' figure again.

Incidentally, should I enter £1 as the called up share capital for every CT600, or just this first one (its unlikely my shares will change)?

Thank you for your response

The figure in box AC74 comes from AC187.

As it is year one the figure in boxes AC40, AC74 and AC187 will be the same..

Unless you issue more shares to yourself at a future date ... your issued share capital will be £1 for every CT600 and return to Companies House.

You will agree I have put a lot of effort on your question.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your advice and help. I'll close this question now as i think I understand what the boxes are all for on the CT600 (at last!).
Thank you