Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  Exposure to general tax issues

Do i pay tax on money left to me in a will?

Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question .

Inheritance tax is payable on estates if the value of the estate is over the nil rate band threshold. The threshold is currently £325, 000.00.

In the event that IHT is payable on the estate then the Will should confirm whether the monies payable to you are subject to IHT. The clause which confirms that you should receive the money may state “subject to inheritance tax”. If it does then the amount you receive will be reduced by the proportion of tax payable in respect of it compared to the rest of the estate.

You need to speak to the executors of the estate about whether your gift is subject to tax or not. If there are no such words stating that it should be subject to tax then you should receive the whole amount free of tax.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,