How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question

Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14303
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you pay uk inheritance tax on money from overseas

Customer Question

Do you pay uk inheritance tax on money from overseas?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

Can you elaborate a little more about your situation please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have recently been informed i am the sole benefactor and have been willed a large sum of money from Japan. From a UK national but has lived over there for many many years, possibly 50 years and has had no immediate family as never married and has no children. its very early staged as i've only just been informed but could be in the region of over 1 Million US Dollars they say!! Not sure if this is correct, might be lost in translation but if true Do i pay inheritance tax or capital gains if its transfered into my bank? and do i pay tax if i share it out with family? who do i need to inform (hmrc) if anyone? other than my surprised bank!

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

Are you sure this is not a scam? Do you know who the deceased was and why you are being left money by him? Before you give anybody your bank details, you need to be sure that you aren't being taken for a ride.

Inheritance Tax is paid by the deceased's estate before any distributions to beneficiaries. The capital you will receive will not be taxable in the UK but any income you earn from it such as deposit interest will. You ought to warn your bank in advance of any payment into your bank as they need to comply with money laundering rules. Any evidence you have of the provenance of the money will help with that.

If you give some of the money to your family there will be no immediate tax consequences. However, should you not live for seven years after making any gifts, their value will remain in your estate for Inheritance Tax purposes.

Let me know if you have any queries.
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14303
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Tony Tax and 4 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The money has been left by my relative. Although a distant one he has no other immediate family and i was contacted by a woman, head of overeas at bank called Kito-Nippon, via fax and e-mail, who hold the estate stating he left my full name and address to contact. Also they have asked me to attend a meeting over there to finalise funds or they will appoint a local attorney the bank uses to do it on my behalf if i cant attend. Does this sound like a scam? they have not asked me for any bank details. I did not even know of his death. It does sound surreal and i've not got to terms with it yet. I read yesterday that inheritance tax is 40% and if all came good wondered if i lose that amount?

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.
Normally, UK nationals' estates will be liable to UK Inheritance Tax wherever they live in the world unless they make a complete break with the UK and become a citizen of another country.

As your relative had not lived in the UK for 50 years, he effectively made a domicile of choice, ie Hong Kong. He has long since fallen off the UK tax authorities radar. There will be no UK Inheritance Tax to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

The situation has moved on. An attorney has been appointed for me by the bank. He has nearly finalised details after two signing sessions with the bank for release of inheritance.. However a FEAC foreign exchange has not been paid. The original funds were transfered from one bank to current bank called Kita-Nippon Ltd and was converted from japanese Yen into US Dollars. There is a 1% conversion charge which was not paid at the time which they are asking me to pay before release of funds. They say they cannot deduct this amount from funds.

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.
This is getting beyond being a tax issue now so I'm not sure I can help you. A beneficiary of an estate is not usually asked to pay fees which are rightfully the responsibility of the executors of the deceased's estate. It is, however, a commonly used tactic by fraudsters, ie to ask somebody for a fee to release some money that they have been told is theirs.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Last | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
< Last | Next >
  • Andrew Baker(baktax)'s Avatar

    Andrew Baker(baktax)

    Personal Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    35+ years experience in income tax, CGT, non-residence
  • TEAP007's Avatar


    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully Trained Inspector of Taxes / District Inspector/ Team Leader/ Offshore Consultant/ 41 years
  • berduchwal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified accountant and bookkeeper running my own practice since 2008.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Mrs-Tax's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law Degree, 19 years in UK Tax.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Exposure to general tax issues
  • AnthonyL's Avatar


    Tax Adviser

    Satisfied Customers:

    ATT, ATII, 12 years tax experience
Chat Now With An UK Tax Professional
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tax Consultant
6814 Satisfied Customers
Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.