Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

What does BR NONCUM in my tax code box means on my wage sl

Customer Question

What does BR NONCUM in my tax code box means on my wage slip
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 7 years ago.
BR Noncum means that you will be paying a straight 20% tax on your gross earnings from the date the tax code is issued.

A normal tax code is 647L which means that you can earn £539 per month tax free. If you don't have another job where you earn at least £539 per month you should call the tax office and get the code changed as soon as possible.
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 7 years ago.
My apologies. Not all my reply came through.

If you have just started a job and you didn't have a P45 from a former employer to give to your new employer then they should have asked you to complete a P46 which should be sent to the tax office so that a normal code can be issued.

If you are receiving a state pension this is always paid gross but it is taxable so it will reduce your personal allowance from £6,475.

If you have never worked before, the tax office may not have a record for you and will issue a BR code until they are fully aware of your circumstances.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions or tell me a little more about your personal circumstances so that I can advise you further.

Edited by Tony on 10/16/2009 at 4:11 PM EST