How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15840
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why might a retired person be given an unexpected payment directly

Resolved Question:

Why might a retired person be given an unexpected payment directly into their bank account which is marked PGO tax with a reference number?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 7 years ago.
PGO stands for Paymaster Generals Office which is responsible for paying some civil service pensions and armed forces pensions.

Take a look here for a contact address and phone number. If you never worked in a government department and cannot think of any reason why you might receive a payment from the PGO I'd suggest you contact them and quote the reference number. It may be related to an announcement several months ago about some government pensioners being underpaid for some years due to clerical errors.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you