Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax

I wish to import some clothing from Pakistan and I have been

I wish to import some clothing from Pakistan and I have been struggling to find out exactly what import tax I will pay on these items and if there is any other hidden charges I may incur

Thanks for your question.

Customs have produced a import tariff duty manual - which will advise what import duty might apply. This varies according to what the item is, where it is being imported from and its country of origin.

I have added a link re import duty and this also covers VAT duty (if the transfer is within the EU - which this isn't)

Clothing has various rates, dependent on what material the clothing is made from, so I had added a link here for the tariff manual, for you to refer to what the clothing charges will be. Or you can ring the tariff helpline on

HMRC Tariff Classification Service Enquiry Line

01702 366 077

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi I will be importing from pakistan I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Can I claim back the import VAT at any stage.

2. Does that mean when I sell the goods on I then pay an initial 15% as well .

The information so far has been very helpful

Thanks for your response

You do claim VAT on the import, but with imports from International Trade, there are special rules - see link here regarding International trade and scroll down to Imports from non EU countries

And, yes you then will add on your usual rate of VAT on any sales you make within the EU