How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10409
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way of finding out how many properties someone or

Customer Question

Hi Is there a way of finding out how many properties someone or a business owns?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, United kingdom
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: In what sense?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I was just wondering if there was a way of finding this information out
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 months ago.

1. Yes, the way to find out how many properties someone or a business owns is to search in the Land Registry against their name. Over 89% of all land and property in England & Wales is registered land. So, the records in the Land Registry provide the best evidence of what property a person owns. If you wish to do an authoritative search and include some of the other 11%, you can search in the local Registry of Deeds. However, these records are not as good as searching involves a bit of effort and expense. As a general rule it is only land which has not been dealt with since 1925 that remains unregistered in the Land Registry. So, if this person or business has been incorporated in the latter half of the 20th century or late, a Land Registry search will include their property.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 months ago.

2. Please Rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Related UK Property Law Questions