Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We let a property for 1 week in switzerland in July. On

Customer Question

We let a property for 1 week in switzerland in July. On arrival no inventory was carried out. A corner kitchen cupboard would not close properly on arrival and over the course of the week because dangerous for my 5 children and adults as you could trap your finger in it and not access the cooking pots. My husband removed the Door from the hinge. No damage to the door was made.the local contact only spoke German so I could not raise the issue with the local agent. On return the owner keep our deposit and 500 frs and refused to return it. They ignored multiple emails and then claimed that hand made leather chairs had been damaged. We certainly did not damage them they had multiple marks on them on arrival ? Water marks but again this was the condition on arrival. There where lots of other item in the property damaged. After failing to get any joy from the owner my credit card took this issue up on my behalf. The holiday company released the deposit stating evidence had not been submitted in time. I have now received an email asking for 1109 francs payable by the 6th Jan or they will take me to court. I am deeply distressed by this.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: July switerland I am in the U.K.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: To the holiday company in July
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would like to know how to respond to his threatening email and what my alegal position is? I feel very vulnerable as no inventory was taken on arrival or departure. It is also now 5. Months later that he has had work done which I am being invoiced for ? The invoice is purely in German which I do not understand.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Sure. The contract if there was one, what does it say about governing law?

Customer: replied 22 hours ago.
I have not had a response to my question
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 20 hours ago.

I replied on 2/1/17 and asked: The contract if there was one, what does it say about governing law?

Customer: replied 16 hours ago.
I don't have a copy of a contract! The holiday letting company state you must submit evidence of damage within 10 days with supporting photographs and quotes for repair! The owner failed to do this and do they released my deposit as he did not follow their protocol! They now state if he chooses to take a case against me then that's an independent issue and nothing to do with them.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 hours ago.

Just so that I am clear, has your deposit been returned in full? They are seeking damages now, after the event?

Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
deposit refunded my letting company as not compliant with their timeframe to sunlit evidence, work done on house on 12/13december. Property let in July
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 hours ago.

ok. So you are not out of pocket?