Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am currently refurbishing a flat. my builders were very

Customer Question

i am currently refurbishing a flat. my builders were very noisy for 3 days as it was required. one of my neighbours came down and banged on the door aggressively. i approached him and asked him what i can do for him. he started yelling that it is illegal to be so loud, illegal what we are doing drilling into the floor, that he would report us as everything is illegal and my builders should buy better tools than it would be faster etc etc. he then started to be very aggressive took his phone out and started to film and recording me with a flashlight talking all stuff about how illegal it was what my builders were doing, questioning them , my ownership etc i told him that he is not allowed to record and film me without my consent as it was also on a private property. i felt very harassed by his actions and his aggressivity although i understand that building noise can drive you crazy. what are my rights when someone is filming/recording me in front of my doorsteps on a private estate?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you report this to anyone please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry i am about to travel abroad so not sure when we could discuss it over the phone. i have no reported it as i was kind of shocked. my builders did partially witness it.

You should report it to the Police. This could be harassment.

The Police could go and warn them and if they do it again prosecute for harassment.

You could also consider getting an injunction to stop them doing it again. Clearly there is a cost to that so you may wish to go to the Police first.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok so police is the first step, any other way than going to police ? the council is the freeholder and his lettings landlord or a letter through a solicitor?

You could write to the council. But the council are not responsible for this person filming you.

Does that clarify?