Alex J.
Alex J., Law
Experience:  LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
13113900

My son died while working in Dubai,In his will he left his

Customer Question

My son died while working in Dubai,In his will he left his property in UK to his wife.His WILL has been created in accordance with Victorian law (Victoria is a state in Australia) His assets are in UK, His will is not recognised in UK where his property is located. Why is an Australian WILL not accepted in UK. Does an intestate case attract a greater tax?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Son is Australian has worked and died in Dubai, wife still in Dubai, property in UK.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Both of them are Dual citizens every document you can think of starting with birth certificate marruage certificate etcetc
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: <<?????
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Hi thank you for your question and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I am sorry to hear of your loss. An person who does intestate does not pay more tax on their estate - inheritance tax is the same. The reason why the will is not accepted in the UK is because assets in the uk such as property are subject to laws that are sovereign. In any event his wife should inherit the property as his next of kin if she shows the marriage certificate to the probate registry when applying for a grant of representation. Can I assist you any further Kind regards AJ