Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

My neighbours fence next to my drive to my garage is falling

Customer Question

My neighbours fence next to my drive to my garage is falling over to my side making it hard for me to get out my car when parking in my drive I can just about open the car door to get out,I'm worried the fence is going to fall over and damage my car,I've spoken to my neighbour for the last 2 years to do with my concern and he just promises he will renew it,I've offered to go half with the cost,but I'm getting no where,Is their any thing I can do legal action or just wait until my car gets damaged .your reply will be very helpful.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 days ago.

Can you establish that the fence is your neighbour's responsibility?

Is it specified in the deeds?

People assume that a property is responsible for a particular boundary but this is not the case unless the title plan indicates the boundary with an inward T mark.

If the deeds are silent then there is nothing legally to compel your neighbour to repair / renew the fence. You can repair/renew the fence yourself.