Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

How much notice have I give to my tenants to quit I have a

Customer Question

How much notice have I give to my tenants to quit I have a yearly shorthold tenency agreement. The agreement runs out in Jan next year. If I give them two months notice now can I ask them to leave in Dec this year?
JA: Then cancel your membership on the My Questions page. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Good state
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 22 days ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. If it is a fixed term Tenancy, I am afraid that unless there is a break clause, you won't be able to give notice to your Tenant to expire before the end of the fixed term. So, if, for example the Tenancy ends on 15th Jan 17, you would have to serve Notice on the Tenant no later than 14th November 16 (always best to give just over 2 months Notice). I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 21 days ago.

Hi, if I have answered your questions, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer so I can get credited for my time. Thanks Al