Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I live in the middle of town in a detached victoriN

Customer Question

I live in the middle of town in a detached victoriN property. We are carrying out a renovation and extending the rear. Our neighbours downpipe seems to have always used our soak away which has to be repositioned as it is beneath our new extension. Am I obliged to pay to reconnect his soak away to our new soak away in the garden and accept a significant amount of water from his roof
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

The starting point is to check the deeds for both your property and his to determine whether he has permission to use the soak away or an easement. It would be most likely that he does not, although he may claim that he has been using it for so long that this gives him a legal entitlement. If he does not have or claim such a right then you should simply give him notice of what you are doing and that he will have to pay to resolve the issue (with either his own downpipe) or to use yours

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 month ago.