Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I am letting a flat to some tenants, they have broken the

Customer Question

I am letting a flat to some tenants , they have broken the boiler and the water can not be turned on because it leaks everywhere so no heating or running water. Because of the amount of damage done it will have to be repaired in stages and will be very expensive , more than I can manage in one go . The flat isn't really habitable bug they are refusing to leave is there a way to have the flat declared unsafe / uninhabitable and get them out so I can shut it down and work through the repairs . They are causing damage to other flats in same building
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 5 months ago.

what type of tenancy do they have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There were three of them in a joint lease in the 3 bed flat . One person moved out , no new agreement was signed . I am living in the spare room on and off and I have tried to get them to sign rent a room / lodger agreements but no success yet .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The repairs have been booked in but it's going to take weeks if not months because of the need to involve engineer , gas supplier , gas transporter

The fact that someone has left does not negate the original tenancy agreement and you could serve notice on them to leave on the basis of that agreement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there no way to hurry things along because of the condition of the flat , as I said there is no heating or running water and its there fault

You can contact environmental health and they can exert pressure on the tenants on your behalf - but you may also want to get them evicted - bearing in mind the trouble that they have caused to you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you last question along what lines would I ask wha to apply pressure / get involved ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry eha

happy to help but please rate positive

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you