Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

The builders engaged by my new neighbour have caused damage

Customer Question

The builders engaged by my new neighbour have caused damage to my property during the course of building an extension. Should my action be against the builders or the owners of the adjoining property.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: London England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

It is an interesting question. The point here is that the builders are acting as agents for the neighbour and with his authority and hence, any proceedings would be against the 2 of them, the neighbour is first defendant and the builder is the second defendant. The court will then decide, if it gets that far, how the blame should be apportioned. It’s likely to land at the foot of the builder but let the court decide that.

If however the neighbour had not instructed them to do what they were doing and they had simply done it on their own, of their own volition, then it’s likely that the court would find only the builder to blame.

Does that answer the question?

Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 4 months ago.

Have you spoken with the neighbours yet?