Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

Writing to a freeholder with an informal offer of a lease

Customer Question

Writing to a freeholder with an informal offer of a lease extension of 90 years
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: London UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: however i would like to know the correct words to write a letter to freeholder before instructing a lawyer formally
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. If it is an informal request for a Lease extension, it doesn't have to take any specific format- most Freeholders are happy to negotiate on an informal basis. Have you made any contact with the Freeholder yet? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have
However I wish to be precise in the wording as he wants £22k
I have had a valuation of £12500
And I am prepared to offer him £15k if we do not have to go through solicitors
If we do I wish to only off £12500
Therefore want precise legal terminology

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing is binding on either party until the Lease extension is signed if you do agree to proceed on an informal basis. However, I would suggest the following wording-

"I (name) hereby confirm that I am willing to pay £15,000 for a Lease extension of an additional 90 years at a peppercorn rent in respect of my property known as xxxx. This offer is made without prejudice and on the basis that I do not need to follow the formal procedure as set out in the

the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993. I further reserve the right to withdraw this offer if the Lease extension is not completed within 3 months.

(I will leave it to you as to whether you want to specify a deadline as per the last sentence).

I hope this assists. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Hi, can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al

If I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Many thanks