Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Purchased a property 27yrs ago came to sell and have found

Customer Question

Purchased a property 27yrs ago came to sell and have found out the soliceter let us buy it with no right of way and don't own the drive is he liable
JA: The Property Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Go for adverse possetion
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We were going to move and the soliceter told us this he put a right to the land register next door obviously got a letter asking them if they had any interest and they say we put a gate up 4yrs previously and could not get acces to cut there hedge we have sinc proved them wrong they have never cut the hedge and we owned the property 11yrs before they came very worrying time
JA: Is there anything else the Property Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Only that it is now with the land register
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
It is most unlikely that you would have a claim against the solicitor after 27 years. The timescale for breach of contract is 6 years from the date of discovery of the problem, subject to a long stop date of 15 years.Background detail to the problem please I can probably tell you how to deal with this. It’s most unlikely that the remedy lies with the earlier solicitors. Kind regards