Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

My house is 18 years old and my neighbour has just complained

Customer Question

Hi. My house is 18 years old and my neighbour has just complained that part of my roof sticks out over her property and so is encroachment. The roof has not changed since the property was built
JA: The Property Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My house wall is the boundary between mine and my neighbours property. A small part of the roof sticks out over then neighbours drive by a few inches. My neighbour is planning on building a 2 story extension on their drive and is suggesting that I need to reconfigure my roof at my own cost to stop overhanging their drive
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Property Lawyer should know?
Customer: The neighbour was in their property before the house was built and actually sold the land my house is on to the builder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 5 months ago.
How long has your neighbour lived at the property? Was the property built with the roof like this?