Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

What is the process to challenge the sellers solicitor's fee

Customer Question

Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
Can we have the full background detail to this please?Did the solicitor send you a terms of business/client care letter detailing the fees?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This question is a follow on to my other question in this forum. The details are on the other question. Another solicitor was responding to me. And when I asked the above question as a follow up in that thread they requested I ask it as a new question. Is it possible you get the full details on the previous question I asked
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
The previous expert answered this here:10. As you have discharged the fees of the seller's solicitors, you have become the client. A right is given to you to bring the matter to Assessment of the fees before a court appointed official who will measure the fee and assess whether it is correct or not. Here, because the fee is a percentage, it has no relation to the work done. So if you bring it to Assessment, you can have it measured to take account of how much work was done. In this way, you can get the 2% charge lowered to have a relation to the amount of work done. Is this in England/Wales or Scotland?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. What else is that you wish to know then?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to know the process and also the chances I have at being successful at the assessment
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 months ago.
Firstly you make a complaint to the solicitors complaints partner. If that fails you can ask for the fees to be assessed by the court.That involves a court application. You can also complain to the Legal Ombudman if you think you have been overcharged. At least that is free and risk free. Bills are rarely not reduced by something but never by a fantastic amount