How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32928
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name's ***** *****, and I have questions regarding a

Customer Question

Hi, my name's ***** *****, and I have questions regarding a tenancy agreement. My ex and I rented a flat and are both named on the tenancy agreement. We gave 2 month's notice to end the lease, and are currently in that notice period. We have both moved out, although I have a few items of furniture to collect. When we first rented the place, I paid the full deposit out of my funds, however under the Deposit Protection Scheme rules, the deposit will be split 50:50 upon the end of the tenancy agreement unless my ex confirms that it is ok to pay me in full She has so far not responded. She is also no longer paying any rent or bills, and has removed herself from our water bill account without telling me.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to reach an amicable solution and simply get the deposit back in full, but I want to know if I will have a strong legal case to pursue her for the deposit plus her share of the rent and bills until the end of the tenancy agreement should she not play ball.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has handed back her keys to the estate agent and got a receipt for this, but I do not believe that this gets her out of her liabilities for rent and bills.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
“Joint and several” means that when more than one person comprise the Tenant, they will each be responsible for complying with the Tenant’s obligations under this Agreement both individually and together."I do not have her new home address, although I believe I know roughly where it is. I do however know where she works, so if it comes to the worst, could I send any summons to her work address?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 11 months ago.
Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.The key to this is the agreement which you entered into with your ex before moving into the property - if the agreement was basically they you would share the costs (this does not need to be in writing but always helpful if it is) of the property - and she has not stuck to that agreement then you would be able to bring a claim against her for the sum owed - this may well be some, all or more than the deposit. I would send her a letter/email for the money she owes to you - if she doesn't pay then you would be able to sue her in the small claims court for the money owed - you can do this at - happy to discuss but please rate positive. Thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 11 months ago.
I should also add that you can serve the summons on her work address if you do not have a home address. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 11 months ago.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Related UK Property Law Questions