Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

My neighbour moved in 4 years ago and 3 years ago changed the

Customer Question

My neighbour moved in 4 years ago and 3 years ago changed the side window on the boundary wall from a non opening window to a an opening window onto my property where do I stand in requesting this window is not allowed to open onto my property?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: the original non opening window was in existence for over 20 years the new opening window has been installed for 3 years what are my rights
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 6 months ago.
Does the window trespass onto your land now when open?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the window opens onto my property now when opened
Well it is technically a trespass. You can write to them and ask them to remove the window from trespassing on your land. You can also indeed make an application to the court for an injunction. The cost of such an action can be quite expensive (normally about £2-3,000). It is often better in such neighbour disputes to first, get a solicitor to write to them and seek their proposals to remedy the trespass. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you confirm that changing the window to opening requires my consent by example of a easement? As this has breached the law of not being in existence for more than 20 years?
It certainly needs your consent - as without your consent it is a trespass. It is quite clear from what you have written that you have not given such consent. Please rate positive.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hi is there anything further you would like to know? I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process.