Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I co-own the freehold of a building with a ground and top floor

Customer Question

I co-own the freehold of a building with a ground and top floor flat in a period conversion. I am the leaseowner of the ground floor flat. Upstairs are trying to sell and the prospective buyers have submitted planning permission for a full second story extension and loft conversion. I rent the flat out and it would cause a lot of disruption to my tenant as well as block out all light to a very small courtyard garden. I don't want to stop upstairs from selling but this proposal is a step too far.
JA: OK. The Property Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Property Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 8 months ago.
Let me see if I help and please rate positive.Are the upstairs freeholders or just leaseholders?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They will be co- freeholder
I see. But he will still need to obtain your permission to any changes to the structure of the property. You are entitled to withhold such permission.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 7 months ago.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you