Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I'm shortly going to be making some necessary alterations to

Customer Question

Hello, I'm shortly going to be making some necessary alterations to my parents' house, so as to allow me to live in it and provide care for my elderly mother. My father is in care home elsewhere. They are still married and own the property as tenants in common. I would be spending my own money to make the changes, which will amount to around £40,000. What I need to know is whether I can ask for a legal charge to be registered against the property, so that I can be assured of being reimbursed when the house is sold, and whether a registered charge would take precedence over any other claim, i.e. a Will or a claim for care fees by the local authority, if local authority care should ever be needed?
Thank you.
Nick.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Just for confirmation - there is no involvement with Social Care at present