Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

You recommended that I ask deal from the estate agents

Customer Question

Hi - you recommended that I ask for a deal from the estate agents Foxtons because I had signed a contract with them to say that I would pay commission over 2 years if there was a tenant there who they had found. You will see below that they have acknowledged that they received emails telling them that the tenant was staying on there right from the start of the re-letting with 2 of her friends. In fact they left me to do the work and waited for a year before claiming their commission. They would never have known had I unwittingly (because I already thought they knew) returned to them to ask them to re-let the property after the year was up. I think £200.00 off the £2000+ they're asking for is too little.
Below is the email I received back from the tenancy manager at Foxtons:
"I believe my email acknowledged that we had received the emails but we did not deal with the information correctly. You should have been informed that this would constitute a change of occupancy rather than a termination of the tenancy and our fees would remain payable.The £200 is compensation for the two errors."Kind Regards
Jackie
The email below was one that I sent to her
"Regarding the emails referred to in your email - is the £200.00 because you acknowledge the emails but that Adrienne didn’t receive them?"
Thanks
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 10 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Your advice was to negotiate if possible, they have come back offering a deduction of £200. They have acknowledged that they were aware of the tenant being in the property, but did not respond. Adrienne who received the emails said she didn't know and this caused delays in my re-letting the property and distress to Phoebe the original tenant. What would be the best way to ask for a further reduction to the commission they're asking for?

I think I would go back and say that you are very pleased they recognise their error. But that the offer is really not realistic or acceptable - that you are looking for a more realistic sum to settle this and look forward to a more realistic offer. There are obviously no guarantees that this will work - but may get them up

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you