How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33901
Experience:  25 years exeperience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you help to proof-read the following statement to make

Customer Question

Can you help to proof-read the following statement to make it legally valide in UK?
Unilateral statement
I , hereby, states that:
1. I waive title to the jointly-owned flat located in [location] whose titleholders are my former wife [name]and I.
2. Any disposition made by my former wife is legally valid and any profit obtained from the flat is her personal property. In accordance with the aforementioned statement (the article 1), I waive my right to oppose grant from this joint-ownership.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

May i ask what this document is meant to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Clare for help. This doc is for the wife to get all money if the flat is sold. The husband & wife cannot sell flat now since they are very busy. They also can't change flat registration since they can't get new mortgage. Thus, the husband is willing to sign such a statement to give up his part of the money. The husband understands that he still take responsibility if the wife can't pay mortgage.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

For clarity - you wish to ensure that your wife can also sign documents on your behalf?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I sign myself.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

So you do NOT wish her to be able to sell the property without your signature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, let me rephrase: When she wants to sell, either she signs on my behalf or I sign is ok. We just need a promise from me for her. We'll be happier if it's simple.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that - are you actually divorced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the divorce process is almost done.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is there going to be a Financial Settlement within the divorce proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the main part of the financial settlement
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Will there be a Court Order so that no further claims can be made ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no court order is involved
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you kindly just proof read it?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The document you have prepared will not do what you wish it to do.

If you do not wish to have a Court Order within the divorce proceedings then you will need to provide your ex with a Declaration of Trust confirming that whilst the property is held in joint names she alone is entitled to the equity AND a Power Of attorney allowing her to sell the property and sign on your behalf if need be.

Please ask if you need further details


Related UK Property Law Questions