Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My daughter is in a shared tenancy with 2 other tenants 1 of

Customer Question

My daughter is in a shared tenancy with 2 other tenants 1 of the tenants has anger management behavioural problems and has been verbally abusive and has caused my daughter great distress which has affected her medical condition she has been in fear of her own safety we have moved her into another house but her tenancy still has 3 months to run can she get out of tenancy? should the lettings agent/landlord be doing something?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Basically, no she cannot use her housemates behaviour as a way to release herself of her contractual obligations to the landlord.

The landlord is under no legal obligation to ensure that the tenants of the property get on together or that they are mentally stable. For this reason there is no breach of contract by the landlord which your daughter could exploit to argue that she should be released from the contract.

She will remain liable for the rent until the tenancy comes to an end or until a further tenancy agreement is executed with a replacement tenant. You can attempt to find a replacement tenant but I would imagine that a tenancy for only three months with this unstable tenant would not be particularly desirable.

I really am sorry, it’s bad luck..

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom