Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We are 2 months into a six month shorthold tenancy. Our

Customer Question

We are 2 months into a six month shorthold tenancy. Our landlords have not supplied us with the necessary certificates of conformity regarding gas and electrical installations - can we have the tenancy annulled?
Many thanks
Geof Boucher
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry but if you are hoping to escape an AST on the basis that the landlord hasn't given you the certificates then I'm afraid I can only give you bad news.

There is no such thing as an annulment with ASTs anyway. In a very small number of circumstances you can leave - for instance where there is flooding or gutting through fire damage.

Absence of certificates just allows you to demand certificates. In fact, only gas has to be provided. Electricity just has to exist. If there is no CORGI gas test in place then you could make a report to Environmental Health but all that would be is put him in a position where he has to get one. There is a chance that he could be prosecuted and fined but it wouldn't mean you could leave.

If there were a gas leak then that would be entirely different.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo