Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

, We have recently bought a property which is a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****, #My name is Vicky
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have recently bought a property which is a terraced house and it looks like we have no rear access to the property which seams to be quite unusual.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Property Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: There is no passage or road at the back end of our garden however it looks like we should have access via the gate which is a part of our neighbours garden.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: My question is: should everyone have rear access to their property, or is it some sort of optional privilege for few lucky ones?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. Dear Vicky, the first thing you need to realise is that there is no rule of law which states the everyone should have access to the rear garden of their property. Such a right of access must exist on the title deeds, or otherwise, there is no such right. Accordingly, I would advise you to examine carefully your title deeds to see if there is a right of rear access. Otherwise, I regret there is no right of rear access.